This is the first Acting Upward update. You can tell because I put it in the title. But also because no other updates exist before this one. So there’s that.
And there’s also this…
I’ve been corresponding with Winnie Hiller for the past day. Winnie is a Hollywood acting teacher who has taught acting in both NYC and LA for 30 some years. She is also a personal acting coach to a celebrity actor and works on set daily.
Winnie has a sub on reddit at r/ActingClass where she teaches the fundamentals of acting to an audience eager to hone their craft. That’s where I discovered her brilliance.
And she’s on board to help the Acting Upward community — both virtually and in person. We will not only be sharing some of Winnie’s wisdom via the Acting Upward blog, we’re also planning to have an on-site acting class for Acting Upward members And yes, for free.
We’re still in the planning stages — so stay tuned.
So this is exciting news and something I thought was worthy of an update! I’m also excited because this is just the beginning of what we have in store for Acting Upward members.
While we are making a lot of progress, there are still many things we plan to do. And if you want to help, we certainly could use it.
For starters, we’re looking for:
- WRITERS & Bloggers.
- People willing and able to write about their acting or filmmaking related experiences, give advice, or just provide engaging content. We’re not necessarily looking for professionals, just people who are able to write and express themselves well. If that’s you, we’re ready to hand over some article & blog writing responsibilities to you.
- Audio/Video PODCASTERS & GUESTS.
- People willing and able to speak in an engaging and entertaining way about their experiences in the industry — in whatever capacity that may be. It doesn’t matter if you act. You can be a hair & makeup artist (we know you have the best stories!), a photographer, a musician… if it pertains to the entertainment industry or filmmaking in any way, we’d love to have you.
- INSTRUCTORS & YouTubers.
- Are you knowledgeable about your craft? Are you willing to share your knowledge in a teaching capacity? We hope to provide on-site learning experiences as well as YouTube videos. If you’d like to be involved with that, we’d love to hear from you.
- Local Chapter Leaders & Organizers.
- Do you live outside of Los Angeles? Do you wish there was a local Acting Upward meet-up group where you could socialize with other actors & filmmakers, learn from each other, and collaborate on projects and productions? If so, we could use your help finding a natural leader & group organizer to make such a group a reality. And if that’s you, all the better. Get in touch. We’d love to discuss the details with you.
- Did we miss someone? Maybe YOU?
- Do you feel like we missed something you are capable of contributing? If so, get in touch. You are exactly the type of person we need to keep pushing us forward. We only have so many ideas — the rest come from people like you.
So yes, we have a blog and additional content coming — even if I (Zero) have to begin the process myself. My goal is for all of the content on this site to be engaging, educational, or entertaining in a meaningful way.
There’s enough superficial bullshit out there on the internet, we don’t need more of it here.
I suppose I need to create a blog sign-up form somewhere now. Dammit. What have I gotten myself into?
Wondering what else might be new? You can always check on the latest Acting Upward progress on the progress page.
If you received this via email: You are subscribed to Acting Upward updates. If you would like to subscribe to the Acting Upward blog, please update your subscription settings — or simply reply to this message (yes, there is someone at the other end) and I will add you manually. ~ Zero Dean